Saturday, April 5, 2008

north dakota....a part of US...



Here I was….first time away frm home(apni dilli,india)…and that too far far away…..more precisely to north Dakota,US…(now please don’t tell me u have never heard of it, am already sick of hearing that)….i know its in the north of US, it doesn’t have much population, its one of the coldest part of US…but heyy…its got life…normal ppl live here…doing there normal daily chores…doing thr groceries frm walmart, target ..or there thanksgiving shopping frm bestbuy,jcpenny,macy’s etc…just like whole of America…..all in all, ND is one of the officially appointed 50 states of US…then y haven’t americans heard of it much….

I’ll tell u my experience at one of the major airports in this country….that was my port of entry to US…so the immigration officer was checking my papers on arrival…and just as he read my forms..he asked me…’y are u going to ND’..(and he was laughing while saying this)…I said to pursue a phd degree in univ of ND…then he says…no, whyyy…I mean why north Dakota….there’s nothing thr….and I was like…hello….dude, am already scared …I have to be thr for atleast 5 yrs and am out of my house for the first time, please don’t scare me more(I didn’t say this to him though, otherwise he would have diported me back home then and there)……but he was what he was....

but my horrible journey didn’t end here…..i missed my connecting flight…(no need to know y and coz of whom..u knw by now)….so while at the costumer service desk of this international airlines(one of the leading US airlines, whose staff as we expect are suppose to have knowledge of the country or the flights…), this lady asks me…’where is grand forks?’ ‘Where is north Dakota?’ ‘I cant find it’….common lady, one thing, if u r working for here,u got to know the names of its states atleast (afterall back home,we are actually taught this in school)…and even if u don’t…u have the computer in front of u….theres no point in asking an international passenger who just spent 24 hours in a flight…and is tired enough.(and not supposed) to tell u that…………

Whatever…I somehow reached the place….grand forks..north Dakota…and to be honest…..on the contrary to my journey….i was quite amazed to meet the ppl here…..i have had the most amazing and satisfying time here so far…becoz of the people …the place…..the university……evrything…and I think this whole experience can make up a different post..i can share it some other time….

All in all..one thing am sure of is if some place has a population of not more than 60,000 and need 2 connecting flights to reach frn anywhere…that doesn’t mean, that place doesn’t exist..or in other words…there nothing there….coz its there…everything is there…and its here..…..:)

1 comment:

[Supra]™ said...

welcome to life ....
i am sure the Americans will have a similar story to share when they visit India........just part and parcel of life.